It was a beautiful Sunday in NYC. I decided to visit Renegade Craft Fair in Brooklyn with my daughter.
I've sold at Renegade in June 2007 and also in November 2012. It's such a fun event with stellar vendors, but when it's held outside, you're always at the mercy of the weather. Today was gorgeous, but it rained yesterday afternoon. Hopefully, that didn't affect sales too much.
Just a few thoughts I had looking around today.
It's best to book a whole booth instead of half a booth if you can afford it. The downside of sharing a booth are:
(1) It's sometimes hard to see that there are 2 shops in a booth. Unless people know exactly where your booth is and are looking specifically for it, half of the time, they will only see your boothmate and assume that the whole booth is her shop. I ended up not being able to find shops that I wanted to visit, probably because they were sharing a booth.
(2) There just isn't enough room. When your boothmate has a lot of visitors, people who want to see your table simply can't get in.
(3) Table placement can be tricky. Most people decide to place their tables vertically on both sides of the booth, but vertically placed tables are much harder to see and less inviting than horizontally placed ones.
Having said that, Renegade is expensive. I shared a booth with a jeweler in Nov. 2012. But I made the same observations above then, and thought that the price of a full booth is probably worth it.
Some vendors could have done better if they:
(1) had large banners with their brand names. Most shops did have signs, but some were small and illegible. Surprisingly, some shops had no signs at all. How will people remember their shops?
(2) indicated prices clearly. Not everyone is going to wait around to ask you how much each item costs, when you're busy serving other customers.
(3) had a nice backdrop in their booths. The ones with cloth backdrops to create their own space stood out, and looked more professional.
(4) were friendly and said hi. (It definitely made a difference!)
The next RCF in NYC is on November 15th & 16th. I've sworn off craft fairs after the disastrous experience at RCF in 2012, but since the next one is going to be an indoor event, I'm tempted again ...